Welcome to the Shepparton Cemetery website. We welcome visitors every day during daylight hours.
The Shepparton Cemetery, at the time of the early European settlers used to be the existing carpark area above Princess Park and across from Shepparton Library. By 1878, it was clear that a new site would need to be developed for the Shepparton Cemetery. As the only hills in the vicinity were on Rudd Road this was the site selected as the new cemetery and continues to be the Shepparton Public Cemetery, almost 150 years later. The first recorded burial at the current site was Andrew Larson aged 3 years, buried in 1876.
It was customary for old cemeteries to be divided into sections according to religion. Shepparton Public Cemetery still uses this organizational format however people are free to choose plots in any section of the cemetery, regardless of religion. New areas, such as the Ashes Walls, the vaults and the Public Mausoleum are non-denominational.
While early burial records were kept, some burial locations are unknown. This occurred because:
- Some burials were not recorded or the location was not recorded,
- Burials in Public Graves did not have a location recorded,
- Burial of babies and young children were often not recorded, being the custom at the time,
- The very earliest grave diggers were probably illiterate and relied on someone else to record the information.
Despite this, there are over 13,600 known burial locations in the Shepparton Public Cemetery.
Graves of interest
|Sir Murray Bouchier||Church of England||Q||1|
|Ah Nan – Chinese grave||Moslem Old Area||A||5|
|Garry Heywood||Roman Catholic||J||4|
|War graves section||Men killed during military training at Shepparton – 1944-47|